Just say NO! If only it was that simple... well actually, it is! 😮
We are not saying you have to go completely cold turkey forever with process & refined sugar products, as here at RwL HQ we are all about the BALANCE! Some days, you do need a bit of cake to cheer you up! But for those who are looking avoid the daily temptations and say "no thank you" more often to ensure they reach their goals... then this ones for you! 💁🏽♀️
The Journal of Consumer Research split 120 students into two different groups; one group being told that every single time they were faced with temptation, they would have to say that they "can't" eat X, whereas the second group would say that they "don't" eat X. 👍🏼
The students who told themselves they "can't" eat X, chose to give in to temptation 61% of time time, whereas students who "don't" eat X chose to give into temptation only 31% of time time. 😮
Let's take a bar of chocolate for example. 🍫 This goes to show that the more you say to yourself that you "don't" eat chocolate, the more in control and powerful you are in making your own decisions!
These studies showed that by just re-phrasing your sentences and adjusting your attitude towards temptation, it can have an affect on your willingness to say no!👏🏼
HOW TO RESIST
1. Say no or "I don't want that"- simple!
2. Come prepared. You're off to a family BBQ and know there's going to be calories upon calories... why not pack your own mini lunch box full of healthy snacks and take it round instead so you have a healthy alternative?
3. Just because it's there, it doesn't mean you have to eat/buy it. You've had a bad day, come home from work and gone to the supermarket to pick up some dinner. You've walked down the chocolate and sweet isle due to old habits... what are you going to do? Is eating this bar of chocolate going to help you reach your goals? If you really want to achieve your goals you're going to say "I don't eat any of this!" and turn around. 🙅🏽♀️
4. Drink water. If you're having 'cravings' or you're feeling 'hungry' then you may just be thirsty. Drink a large glass of water and see how you get on.
5. Plan your meals. Try and plan your meals for the week ahead as you're more likely to eliminate temptation as you already know what you're going to eat.
Train your brain to think differently, be mindful and stay prepared so you can say no and mean it, avoid the temptation of naughty nibbles around you and focus on achieving your goals! 🧠
Need some healthy snacks, recipes and more advice? Click here to get started for FREE today to Results with Lucy for 600+ recipes and all the top tips you need!