Beef and Tomato Coconut Curry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g lean casserole steak, diced
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 5cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 stem of lemon grass (outer leaves removed), chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- A 400g can coconut milk
- A 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 300ml beef stock
- 1 aubergine, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Pre-heat oven 160c, Gas Mark 3.
In a casserole dish, heat oil on stove top and brown the steak (in batches if necessary). Set aside.
Soften the onion in the casserole dish and stir in chilli, garlic, ginger and lemon grass and cook for 1 minute.
Return the steak to the pan and stir in the coconut milk, tomatoes and stock. Stir in the other spices and coriander, season.
Bring to the boil, cover and then cook in the oven for about 1hour 45minutes. Stir in the aubergine half way through.