Beef and Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 600g stewing beef, trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1.5 litres water
- 250ml beef stock (made with low sodium stock cube)
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into 1cm pieces
- 310g can sweetcorn, rinsed, drained
- 60g frozen peas and green beans
- Heat half of the oil in large saucepan. Add the beef to the pan to brown (you may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan).
- Heat remaining oil in same pan and cook the onion and garlic, stirring, until the onion softens.
- Return the beef to pan with the water, stock and undrained tomatoes. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 1½ hours.
- Add the celery and carrot to soup. Simmer, uncovered for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the sweetcorn, peas and green beans. Stir over heat until peas and green beans are tender.
- Serve and enjoy!