Brown Rice Sushi
- Sushi Ingredients
- Approx 100ml of Sushi Vinegar
- 285g of brown rice
- 3 cups water
- Nori sheets
- 1/2 x cucumber (cut finely into strips)
- 3 x carrots (cut finely into strips)
- 1 avocado, cut into thin lengthy pieces
- Pickled ginger to serve (finely cut into strips)
- 200g poached salmon or cooked peeled prawns or 2 (max) slices of smoked salmon
- Sushi Vinegar Ingredients
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons agave or natural honey
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink crystal salt
Sushi Rice Method:
- Add brown rice and 3 cups of boiling water to a saucepan and simmer for 35mins until rice is well cooked. You may need to add more water if it evaporates before rice is soft. Drain any excess water by tipping cooked rice into a sieve and rinse extra starch off in water.
Transfer to a wooden or glass mixing bowl and allow to cool a little. While the rice is still warm, but not piping hot, add approx 80ml of the sushi vinegar and stir through. Taste the rice, it should have a sweet acidity without being too overpowering. If needed add the remaining sushi vinegar and mix in well.
Allow to completely cool and your ready to make your sushi!
Place a Nori sheet (shiny side down) onto a sushi mat, approx 2cm from the edge closest to you.
Using wet hands spread a thin layer of rice over the sheet, leaving a 3cm boarder along the edge furthest from you.
Arrange your filling (fish, vegetables, avocado, pickled ginger - your choice) across the centre of the rice.
Using your thumbs pick up the edge of the mat closest to you and hold the filling in place using your other fingers, while rolling the mat up around it.
Keep pulling the mat gently as you roll to create a tightly packed sushi roll, continuing to shape it with your hands.
Remove the toll from within the mat and it's your choice to cut into pieces or simply keep as a long roll.