Cannellini Beans and Quinoa Patties
- 1 knob of coconut oil or organic butter for frying
- (NB: if frying in organic butter, always have a dash of water ready to add to it, to stop it burning)
- 1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp fennel, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1 egg to combine
- 1 handful of parsley, chopped
- 1 handful of spinach, finely chopped
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the coconut oil or butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Saut̩ the onions for a few minutes, until soft, and then add the garlic and spices.
Cook for a minute or until aromatic then tip in the cannellini beans. Toss them well in the oil and spices until coated and then turn off the heat.
Mash the beans roughly with a potato masher and then add the quinoa, egg, parsley and spinach. Season well and give everything a good mix (use (clean) hands if necessary).
Season to taste.
Form the mixture into small rounds and press down so that the patties are about 2.5cm thick. We find it easiest to use a lever ice cream scoop to scoop out even sized burgers and then I press lightly with the palm of the hand to flatten them slightly.
Fry the burgers a few minutes each side in a lightly oiled (coconut oil) frying pan, over a medium heat until golden and heated through. Be careful as you turn them, as they can be a little fragile.
Serve with sides of hummus, Tzatziki, homemade relish or salsa.
This makes about 10-12 patties so share with the family or freeze/refrigerate leftovers.