- 1 large leek washed, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 50g pine nuts toasted
- 1 medium parsnips trimmed, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed or chopped
- 1 carrot trimmed, peeled and sliced
- 200ml water
- 100g vacuum packed chestnuts or tin chestnut puree
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 50g goats cheese, hard or soft (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large sauce pan. Gently cook the onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened but not coloured.
Add the leek, carrots and parsnip with the 200ml water. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
Place the chestnuts in the food processor and blend for 10-15 seconds until roughly chopped.
Transfer to a large bowl and add the vegetables, pine nuts, parsley, thyme and rosemary.
Mix well and spoon half the mixture into a baking dish, pressing down well. Dot with half the cheese, if using, and then top with the remaining vegetable mixture. Dot with the rest of the cheese.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes.
Carefully loosen the chestnut roast from the mould with a knife and turn out on to a plate.