Grilled Mackerel Fillets with Apple Chutney
- 4 x 250g mackerel, filleted and boned
- Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch of ground cumin
- 1 pinch of cumin seeds
- 1 pinch of ground ginger
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- 1 pinch of chilli powder
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Coconut oil for frying
- 250g cooking apples, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp of cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp of natural honey
- 1 tsp hazelnut (or any nut) oil
- Lightly brush the mackerel fillets with olive oil and sprinkle with the cayenne pepper and thyme. Place on a grilling tray.
To make the chutney, sweat the onion with all the spices, garlic and a little oil in a stainless steel pan for 2 mins over a medium heat.
Add the apples to the pan, together with the rest of the chutney ingredients and simmer over a low heat for 20 mins.
Grill the mackerel fillets under a hot grill for 8 mins until golden brown.
Serve on a bed of slightly wilted spinach and with a spoonful of the chutney on top. As always, additional salad vegetables on the side are recommended.