Homemade Vegetable Burger
- 3-4 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 200g firm tofu, finely chopped
- 1 cooked beetroot peeled, grated
- 8 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, grated
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped kidney beans
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of the oil in a pan over a medium-low heat and fry the onions for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, or until they are softened and golden-brown. Add the mushrooms to the pan for the last 5 minutes.
In a bowl, mix together the cooked onions, tofu, beetroot, mushrooms, carrots, smoked paprika, garlic, thyme and kidney beans. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
With damp hands, divide the mixture equally and shape into patties.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and fry the patties for 3-4 minutes on both sides, or until golden-brown. Heat a griddle pan/ frying pan until smoking, then add the patties and fry for a further 1-2 minutes on both sides.
Serve with salad or sweet potato wedges (cut sweet potatoes into wedges and cook in oven (200 degrees) for 25-30 minutes).