Honey and Mustard Gammon
- A gammon joint for 4-6 people
- 1 small handful of cloves
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tsp of whole grain mustard
- 55g of brown sugar
- 1 onion, halved with the skin on
- 1 carrot, whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp of peppercorns
- In a big pot, place the gammon (string/mesh still on), onion, carrots, bay leaves and peppercorns. Cover in water and bring to the boil. Cover the pot, lower the heat and leave to simmer for an hour.
Remove the gammon from the pan and let the gammon cool slightly. Save the onion and carrot to season your gravy if you'd like. You can boil the gammon the day before, to save time, if needs be, just refrigerate it once it has cooled. Remove any string and carefully cut the skin off, whilst leaving the fat on. This is easiest when the gammon is still warm.
Preheat the oven at 180'C
Score the fat, at an angle, every 1.5-2 cm and then repeat in the opposite direction; to make diamond shapes in the fat.
Place a clove in the meat, at the intersection of all the scored lines.
In a small bowl, mix the honey and mustard and then paint the gammon with it, using a pastry brush. In the absence of a pastry brush, pour it on carefully.
Coat the honey &; mustard covered gammon with the brown sugar, trying to get as much of it as possible to stick.
Roast in the oven for approximately an hour until the sugar caramelises and starts to brown.
Remove the cloves, carve and serve.