Hot and Sour Soup
- 500ml-600ml of water
- 1 stalk of lemongrass (smashed to remove outer layer), cut in half
- 1 thin slice of galangal or 1/2 teaspoon of galangal paste
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, torn into quarters
- 2-3 small chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tomato cut into quarters
- 1 small onion or shallot, diced
- 1-2 mushrooms cut into bite size pieces
- Chopped coriander and spring onion for garnish
- 6 prawns or 1 pre-cooked chicken breast or 1/2 cup of tofu (your choice)
- 1 tsp natural honey
- 2 tsp fish sauce (remove to make vegan/vegetarian)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Heat the water in a pot over high heat until just boiling. Then add lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaf and chillies.
Cook for 2-3 mins.
Add tomato, onion and mushroom, cook for about 30 seconds, then turn the heat down.
Add fish sauce (if using) and lime juice, then add the prawns/tofu and leave until they are cooked. If using cooked chicken serve once the tomato, onion and mushrooms are cooked through.
Add coriander leaves and spring onion, combine well before serving.