No Fuss Shepherd's Pie
- 500g lamb mince (swag for vegan Quorn mince to make vegetarian/vegan)
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 100ml beef/chicken/vegetable stock (made with low sodium stock cube)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (swap for vegan/vegetarian to make vegan/vegetarian)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g peas (fresh/frozen)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 3 large baking potatoes or sweet potato, chopped
- Splash of milk/milk alternative
- Knob of butter (optional)
Cooking Directions - Slow Cooker Recipe
- Heat a smash of oil in a frying pan and brown the onion and mince for approx 5 mins.
- Add the onion and browned mince to the slow cooker with all the other ingredients apart form the topping ingredients.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours until the carrots are tender. You may wish to scoop some of the oil/liquid from the top of the meat.
- 30 minutes before the end of the slow cooker time, add the potato to boiling water and simmer for approx 20 mins until they are tender.
- Mash the potatoes in the saucepan with the milk and butter.
- Turn on your grill to medium/high and spoon the mince mixture unto a separate baking dish. Top the mixture quickly with the mashed potato.
- Brown the top of the shepherds pie under the grill for approx 5-10 minutes until the potato starts to brown.
You can vary the vegetables you add to increase the nutrient content of this meal.
This can be frozen - freeze age cooked and cooled pie in a suitable dish, covered, labelled and dated for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheated thoroughly in the oven at 180 degrees covered for approx 60-70 minutes, until piping hot. Reheated mashed potato can sometimes become soggy so you could freeze the mince mixture (reheat this in a saucepan until piping hot) without the mashed potato and make the mashed potato fresh.