Peanut Baked Tofu
- 85g quinoa
- 1 tbsp plus 1tsp olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small broccoli, broken into florets
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp plus 1 tsp of tamari (or low sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 x 369g packet of extra-firm tofu, drained, cut into 8 slices
- 2 tbsp chopped peanuts (optional)
- Whisk together 3 tablespoons of tamari or soy sauce, honey, olive oil and garlic in a baking dish.
Place the tofu slices in the dish and let it marinate for about 30 minutes. Turn over after 15 minutes to ensure both sides are marinaded.
Preheat oven to 200. Place the tofu on a non stick baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the edges of the tofu are dark. Remember to turn the tofu over halfway through cooking time to ensure even cooking.
Meanwhile cook the quinoa as per the packet instructions.
Whilst the quinoa and tofu are cooking heat 1 tsp olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the red pepper and cook for about 3 minutes, until softened. Transfer to a large bowl.
Add the broccoli florets to the pan with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and steam for about 2 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Transfer the broccoli to the bowl with the pepper.
Whisk the peanut butter, lime juice, 1 tablespoon of water, 1 teaspoon of tamari, brown sugar, and ginger in a small bowl.
When the quinoa is done, add it to the bowl with the pepper and broccoli. Add in the peanut sauce and mix well.
Place the quinoa into 2 bowls, then top each with 4 slices of tofu and a tablespoon of chopped peanuts.