Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup
- 1 medium swede (peeled and diced)
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 inches of ginger root (thinly sliced)
- 1 bulb of garlic (each individual clove peeled and cut in half lengthways
- 1 red onion (peeled and sliced or diced
- 2 heaped tsp organic butter
- 2 bags of Knorr Simply Chicken Stock (liquid) or 1L homemade vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan crystal salt
- In a large soup pot, gently melt the butter and shallow fry the onion, garlic and ginger when/if they start to stick, add a little bit of boiled water to allow onions to continue to cook and soften.
Add the 2 bags of chicken stock liquid or homemade stock. Bring to the boil gently. Add the diced root vegetables to the mix and add more water (pre-boiled from the kettle), enough to cover the contents by about an inch.
Leave to simmer for 20mins on a low heat. Check water content every 15-20mins until the swede and sweet potato are soft.
Turn off the heat and using a blender (hand held is ideal), create a smooth soup.
Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a handful of baby spinach leaves.
Soup (makes 6-8 servings so share with the family or freeze/ refrigerate leftovers)