Sweet Potato Hotpot
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt (seasoning)
- Black pepper (seasoning)
- Butter beans (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onions for 5 minutes over a medium-high heat, until softened and lightly browned, stirring occasionally
- Add the onions and all the other ingredients to the slow cooker, season with a little salt and pepper. Mix well together
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours and high for 4-5 hours or, until all the vegetables are tender and the sauce is thick.
Add in extra veg (asparagus, spinach, kale, leeks etc) to up the nutrient value of the dish.
Any left over can be blitzed to make a soup.
305 calories per person (serves 4 people)