Tasty Turkey Meatballs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 carrot finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 2 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, halved and thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 500g carton tomato passata
- 500ml chicken stock (made from stock cube or homemade)
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Approx 300g brown rice (75g per person) (omit from 30 day lean)
- 400g pack lean turkey
- 4 tbsp porridge oat
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil to rub the pan
- Black pepper for seasoning to your taste
- Cook the rice as per the packets instructions.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan with a lid, then tip in the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and fennel, and stir well. Cover the pan and cook over a medium heat for 8 mins, stirring every now and then. Pour in the passata and stock, cover and leave to simmer for 20 mins.
Meanwhile, tip the mince into a large bowl. Add the oats, fennel seeds and leaves, the garlic and black pepper, and mix in with your hands. Lightly shape into 25 meatballs about the size of a walnut.
Rub a non-stick pan with a little oil and gently cook the meatballs until they take on a little colour. Give the sauce a stir, and then add the meatballs and parsley. Cover and cook for 10 mins until they are cooked through and the veg in the sauce is tender.
Serve the meatballs, sauce and rice together.